Roope Karli has been an entrepreneur at heart since he was 6. Now he, his brother and a colleague from a salad business are making the world a healthier place with raw smoothie bar concept Karli Smoothie Bar. In our interview, Roope shares some highlights from his journey as an entrepreneur.
1. Why did you become an entrepreneur?
I became an entrepreneur because I was not pleased with existing products on the market. I realized that there was a possibility to do this the right way in my opinion, so basically, I ended up designing a product for myself. The timing was also right as the market for transparently healthy and nourishing products is growing with huge leaps!
Before I started Karli Foods Oy (priorly Tiki Natural Foods) I worked as sales area manager in food retail. I was selling a self-service salad bar concept to grocery stores and this gave me and my other colleague Jens just the right experience to set up this new concept and design the supply chain in a way that makes it scalable all over the world.
2. What are you like as an entrepreneur?
I am very demanding. I won’t take no for an answer, as I never give up. I am also very effective and driven. Sometimes I find myself in conflicts with myself because I think only perfect is good enough, which can be slow from time to time.
3. What makes the story of your personal career interesting?
Probably that I started customer acquisition for my lawn caring services when I was 6.
4. What is your biggest professional accomplishment?
That we created such a company in 1.5 years with basically no money. It has been a beautiful journey with a lot of great vibes from customers, consumers, stakeholders and friends. Warm thanks to every one of you!
5. What is your biggest professional blunder?
Who thinks about such things? You eff up, learn and move on.
6. What is your dream for your company?
To see that we are available all over the world and that we have an impact on people’s health even in a bigger, statistical picture.
7. Who is your role model and why?
I would say Steve Jobs. He would have been our consumer as well. Rest in peace Jedi master.
8. What motivates you?
Winning challenges and driving for a healthier planet in all aspects. Also my family.
9. Why crowdfunding and why with Invesdor?
We wanted to give our consumers the possibility to be part of the company. We know already that they love the product so why not give them a chance to part of something that they believe in as well! Invesdor has a like-mided team and I believe that they are the best in what they do.
10. Why would you invest in your company? Give three reasons.
- We have a product that sincerely is good for anyone (if you are not allergic to some ingredient) in a unique concept
- Passionate and driven team
- Globally growing market in a fast phase